[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 16 07:29:07 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2007, at 2:19 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:
>
> > identity politics war far superior, for their purposes, to class
> > struggle.
>
> Damn, I thought this opposition of "class vs. identity" had gone the
> way of the dodo, or at least the 90s.

Indeed. "Identity politics" was a passing fad of the '80s, marking the end (for the time being) of the struggle politics of the 1955-75. Rights for gays is NOT identity politics. Anti-lynching is NOT identity politics. The Black Liberation Movement, the Women's Liberation Movement, the Gay Liberation Movement, and so forth had nothing whatever to do with identity politics. It is a stupid phrase and should be forgotten. All of these movements were forms of class struggle, of the working-class movement. Opposition to any of these movements is scabbing.

Carrol