[lbo-talk] A question regarding list member identities...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 16 07:32:49 PDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Jim Straub wrote:

> I am amazed at how shocked you are that antioch types are
> scoffed at! Perhaps a little unfairly, but, here we are- its the
> world we
> live in. You gotta get with it to get with it.

I'm not shocked. I've lived in this world a pretty long time. But you seem to think there's some wisdom in the position. I don't. It's a right-wing impulse - to focus class resentment on liberals and intellectuals. (And this impulse isn't even fact-based: Dennis Redmond has said several times that Antioch isn't really a bastion of rich hippies.) In the American case, Lenin was wrong - the spontaneous consciousness of our working class is a laugh at the fancy-pants consciousness. It hasn't served them very well, has it?

Doug