[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 16 09:33:46 PDT 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 11:37 AM, ravi wrote:

> A [genuine] question: what is the basis of solidarity? Surely it is
> more than back-scratching?

With class, in part, a common role in production, broadly conceived. But that's not necessarily visible to the naked eye - it takes a lot of organizing and educating to make it clear. On nonclass things, common humanity. It was touching to read the story in the NYT yesterday about the Massachusetts legislators who switched their vote on same-sex marriage:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/us/15gay.html>

> One legislator who switched his vote was Representative Paul
> Kujawski, Democrat of Uxbridge, saying meetings with gay and
> lesbian constituents convinced him that “I couldn’t take away the
> happiness those people have been able to enjoy.”

Doug