[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 16 10:27:55 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2007, at 1:10 PM, bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:
>
> > Should
> > they call themselves feminist and risk alienating lots of women who
> > couldn't identify with that silly white women's movement -- for
> > that was
> > the dominant view at the time, peddled in Ebony and Jet and peddled
> > a great
> > deal by black nationalist men.
>
> A view still popular with the male black nationalists around WBAI,
> judging by their behavior.

This too shall pass. Or as I have been putting it, this is part of the thrashing about that a movement in retreat before superior forces engages in. And some wonderful people from the days of _actual_ struggle did engage in such horseshit -- there was a 'slogan' to the effect that the place of women in the movement was on their backs, and this got echoed in both white and black sectors. It was one of a number of factors that triggered the womens movement. (Similar things had happened before: Mary Wollstonecraft's thinking on women was in part a response to the exclusion of women from the revolutionary struggle in France.) Some got over it and some didn't.

Carrol