[lbo-talk] Class v. Identity (was Taibbi)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 16 11:02:07 PDT 2007

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> i could almost go with this if only all these "identities" were considered
> equal partners in class struggle. but they aren't. when they have to
> struggle even to be part of the class struggle, then we cannot reduce
> politics to class struggle.

The part of the class struggle that counts (that counts almost 100%) is the struggle to unify workers. Class Unity is just another name for successful revolution. Hence the so-called identity struggles, the struggles to be part of the class struggle as you wonderfully put it, are the whole fucking revolution.

There is no more reactionary ideology than class reductionism. We can "reduce politics to class struggle" if we don't have a stupid idea of what class is and of what the central goals of class struggle are. The chief arena of real class struggle today is the struggle for open borders and the elimination of attacks on undocumented workers. That of course requires a struggle against racism. That of course ......

Carrol