[lbo-talk] Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jun 16 17:04:09 PDT 2007

Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

>>Race, sex, sexual preference are all tied up with the distribution of
>
> property and the division of labor.
>
> But Doug, you have to actually live life and not just theorize it to
> understand this. But some people are content to be keyboard
> jockeys and opine from the safety of a home office.

This argument is precisely analogous to the claim that a medical doctor could not understand the etiology of a disease unless the doctor personally experienced the disease. Being able to thoroughly analyze a phenomenon and test causal linkages is not dependent on having an immediate "personal" experience. This assumption that a person cannot "know" something unless they personally experience it is one of the most pernicious misconceptions about knowledge that I come across as a college prof.

Miles