[lbo-talk] A question regarding list member identities...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 16 20:45:34 PDT 2007

>From: Tim Francis-Wright <tim at francis-wright.com>
>
>To pick up on what someone else wrote, the salaries paid
>to successful players have done little recently to dampen
>fans' appreciation of professional sports--20 to 30 years
>ago, there was much more public handwringing about player
>salaries and how they were ruining the game; it is, I
>think, much clearer to most fans that players deserve the
>salaries that they get.

I never cease to be amazed at the skill and discipline shown by MLB players.

But no way is it clear to me that any of these guys "deserve" the astronomic salaries they get paid.

>The question that I have is how to translate the ardor for
>and knowledge of professional sports into ardor for and
>knowledge of things political.

Sadly, the "ardor and knowledge" that typify interest in professional sports seem to translate into respect for one principle only: money rules. I'm not sure how injecting sports fans' POV into the political sphere will elevate or produce any change whatsoever in the money-worshiping mentality that already governs US politics.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm