[lbo-talk] Writing on the rich

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 13:02:23 PDT 2007

>From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>
>
> > I think the sad fate of this '57 Plymouth Belvedere ...
>
>What's weird is that they buried it. I mean, you can buy stuff on eBay
>today that's 50 years old "new in box" ... and I read an article the
>other day about a guy who bought an early 60s Volvo that has never been
>titled (he tried to get Volvo to honor the warranty).
>
>That car would be in much better shape had they not buried it.

Well, maybe that's the metaphorical takeaway for the US overall that I was groping for in my earlier post re the Belvedere's disinterment. Note the lead of the article I cited: "A concrete vault encasing a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere buried a half-century ago may have been built to withstand a nuclear attack but it couldn't beat back the natural onslaught of moisture."

So how's this: The US has been encased in a national security state since WWII and has escaped atomic incineration only to see its economy and culture rot away from within, due to the parasitism of the military-industrial complex and the self-induced paranoiac terror of the war *on* terror. No question, the US itself would be in much better shape had they not buried it.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07