[lbo-talk] High Hat (Was Re: Taibbi (was Re: Fwd: Antioch College Closing!))

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 13:05:14 PDT 2007

Miles, the technocratic arrogance that oozes from every letter of your recent compositions about them goes a long way to illustrating why people fighting oppression often include knowitall professors as a group among their oppressors and want to smash their glasses and send them to the countryside to learn something. I'd a rad prof with too many advanced degrees myself and reading what you have written makes me wish I had a crowbar, Brian's patience throughout these recent discussions as been positively Buddhist. Let apologists for the existing regime take this tone; it's our job to respectfully offer assistance. That doesn't mean, no criticism, it means, respectfully.

Quite apart from not getting on our high horses with our diagnoses, etc., you know perfectly well that the position you dismiss here, that social scientific knowledge essentially, or requires, empathy that is best or on some views only attainable by first-hand inside experience, and therefore that such experience is, if anything is, a "foundation" for social scientific research is well within the scope of several standard views about social scientific methodology, from the extremes of the Wittgensteinians like Geertz and Winch to more moderate perspectives like Dray and Collingwood in theory of history to Weber in sociology, with his claim that Verstehen, empathetic understanding, is no less essential to social knowledge than causal knowledge.

So this is not a view to high hat, and in the context of discussion over political tactics, which is the present context, you might start bye acknowledging that and suggesting that there might be some questions about it rather than coming off as a condescending Expert.