[lbo-talk] High Hat (Was other things)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:14:58 PDT 2007

>From: ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org>
>
>On 17 Jun, 2007, at 10:03 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> >
> > (Empathy in general is really hard because it involves
> > paying close analytical and sympathetic attention to
> > others. As you and the other people who are blowing
> > off Brian are showing -- I mean, that empathy is
> > hard.)
>
>The dictionary says empathy means "the ability to understand and
>share the feelings of another". I think that is fairly natural in
>human beings, and would be hard to overcome (other than for
>sociopaths) -- the overcoming probably requires a lot of smartness
>and analytical attention ;-). Empathy, as defined above, seems to not
>just include, but be primarily about the case where one human being
>is able to understand without direct experience the condition of
>another. Whether this is possible through theorising or through
>defining traits of humanity, I am not sure.

The problem with the social sciences and helping professions (psychiatry, psychology, etc.) is their unavoidable tendency to objectify people, which of course acts as a barrier to empathy and creates a counterproductive hierarchic relationship between the scientist/therapist and the subject/patient. In fact, the former might well be called "social" "sciences" since they so often manage to make a mockery of both true science and honest human interchange.

The pretensions of the social sciences and helping professions pose a serious threat to democracy, since these disciplines contribute to the contemporary cult of expertise and encourage the public to distrust their own judgment -- which erodes their own empathic abilities, leaves them easy prey to propagandists, and lessens their ability to make informed demands and choices as voters.

No quality is more important to democracy than empathy and that nothing is more essential to empathy than a keen sense of self-awareness. I think Emerson gets a bum rap when his call for "self-reliance" is seen as an excuse for self-absorption. On the contrary, I see this as a call for individuals to be in better touch with, and more trustful of, their inner selves so they can have a better sense of their deepest motivations as human beings -- thus gaining insight into what makes *other* people tick and promoting more harmony all around.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm