[lbo-talk] Sports and politics (Was: A question regarding

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 09:21:11 PDT 2007

>They are obsessed with
> >sports. Why? Maybe because it's a common language?
> >
>Or maybe because it's an "even playing field" where physical prowess,
>skill, and the team count.
>
>Joanna

Stephen Jay Gould wrote a lot about baseball. He talks about nobody hitting .400 in over 50 years and says people tend to think it's because hitters have gotten worse. Gould says it's because everyone's gotten better. He also talks about how one player can sometimes set off-the-chart records, but then everybody, like kids who grow up watching that player, starts learning from the outstanding player and everybody gets better. I always thought that was a great life lesson.