[lbo-talk] Empathy and difficulty (Was Re: High Hat . . .)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Jun 18 11:09:53 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> And if one doesn't have the inside lived experience
> and there is someone who does -- we can't ask the
> ancient Greeks, because there aren't any, but
> straights can ask gays, for example -- one has to be
> very careful about dismissing the insider's appraisal
> of your efforts at understanding what it's like.
>
> So Miles is worse than wrong to blow off Brian; he's
> not only arrogant and condescending, he's willfully
> ignoring vital evidence that is necessary to a grasp
> of the issues he purports to be concerned with. And he
> doesn't have the excused that he's a behaviorist and
> doesn't believe in the lived dimension of life, which
> would be a different sort of failing.

This is the same confusion of psychology and sociology that you wandered into a few weeks ago. Psychology (e.g., subjective understanding of lived experience) cannot explain social facts. Full stop. Sure, to understand a person's lived experience, verstehen is crucial; however, if we want to understand social systems and social structure, knowing the psychological characteristics of the participants is just irrelevant. It's exactly analogous to saying that people are made of atoms, therefore any valid analysis of society must be based on physics.

There are different levels of analysis here, and assuming we can understand the structure of society by analyzing subjective experience is the worst sort of category error (as Ryle might say).

Wittgenstein is appropriate here, in a different way than you suggest. When Wittgenstein wants to analyze language, he does not accept the common-sense views of how language works (e.g., the "picture theory" of language). Instead, he ruthlessly rejected that common-sense view of language to get at a more interesting and thorough analysis of language use. The fact that his view of language conflicts with common sense is irrelevant to the validity of his claims.

Again, I want to emphasize that I am not "blowing off Brian"; his own experience is important, and mutual empathy is a noble goal. However, subjective experience is not a logically coherent basis for understanding social relations. --And this just occurs to me: why is it an insult to claim that X is not a good tool for analyzing social relations? Sure, analyzing social relations is important, but there are many good things in the world that have nothing to do with that onerous task!

Miles