[lbo-talk] Junkyard dog hits Motown (and other responses)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jun 18 10:30:29 PDT 2007

>And also, if I'm right, you haven't sat in meetings in
>which the slick MSFT salesman and his lovely
>accomplice convinced the CFO that Windows, running in
>a fail over clustered arrangement and linked to EMC
>boxes via fiber, was as robust as SOLARIS on Sun
>hardware, scaled as well and would serve your science
>staff designing new organisms or your trading floor
>performing billions of dollars of real time
>transactions just as efficiently.

Funny, this kind of feeds into the "class" and "identities" thread.

You would think that the choice of technology/software used by a company would result from a process of testing and evaluation of competing products. Not so. At the very major company where I work, the products/tools we buy have nothing to do with feedback coming from the grunts who have the expertise to evaluate technology. Rather, the decision of what to buy, how much to my, when to buy come from the middling and upper management layers and have a lot more to do with who the purchaser went to school with or who he plays golf with than with hard facts. I've seen this so many times and to such disastrous ends that I'm not even surprised any more. Are there any consequences to this crony management stuff? No.

Joanna