[lbo-talk] Racist, crass British comedian Bernard Manning dead

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 12:08:26 PDT 2007

BBC Channel 4 called him one of the "Top 100 Comedians of All Time," and I didn't know who he was 'til I saw his death joyously announced on a music email list that's based in England. I looked him up -- straight-out racist humor, sort of like Jabba the Hut mixed with Archie Bunker w/ thick Mancunian accent. Whereas Archie Bunker is usually described as ultimately a "lovable protagonist," Manning really insufferable from what I've seen.

But even the liberal (?) Guardian and other Brit papers are going really soft-ball on him: http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,2105926,00.html

This is his YouTube page -- you can get a taste of his, uh, 'humor' here. NSFW:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TheBernardManning

-B.