[lbo-talk] Sun beams from billionaire's behind

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jun 20 17:01:09 PDT 2007

On 20 Jun, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 18:27 -0400, ravi wrote:
>
>> the
>> Democrats (it seems to me) represent a weak but present barrier
>> against a full blown assault on labour, women, gay, black people,
>> etc.
>
> Personally, I don't grant this premise as a factual matter. The
> Democrats have a marketing -- or maybe I should say a branding --
> strategy aimed in part at these constituencies, but that's as far as
> their commitment goes. Lip service is precisely the extent of their
> service to labor etc.

I suppose it is arguable. Do you believe the Democrats do not contribute in providing some roadblocks to erosion of workplace rights, abortion rights, affirmative action, etc? No doubt they have been extravagantly cowardly in the aftermath of 9/11, but they did manage to push through a minimum wage increase, and will I think shoot down any possible Bush nominees to the Supreme Court who are off the centre. These are small and uncertain gains, but as Doug points out they may be the only ones available to the respective constituents.

>> While the initial setback of the demolition of the Democrats
>> might be a positive, even necessary, step in the direction of a long-
>> lasting solution for these groups and the underlying ideologies, what
>> of the suffering caused in the transition period? Are those directly
>> affected ready and able to bear that cost?
>
> Let's grant your premise, arguendo, and say that obliterating the Dems
> does lead to some near-term suffering. When was there ever a
> significant
> social transformation that didn't?

I would agree there are none, but who is to make the call? Surely not me, sitting in my position of privilege? If the unions, NOW, HRC, etc endorse the Dems, what next?

--ravi