[lbo-talk] Capitalism and Religious Fundamentalism

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 07:26:02 PDT 2007

Out of sheer curiosity, I have a question: Is there something essential to the nature of capitalism that breeds religious fundamentalism -- a brand of religious fundamentalism capitalism can't necessarily assimilate? (I.e. it is easy to see why a wishy-washy "lifestyle" Christianity -- with its Christian self-help books and so forth -- is perfectly compatible with capitalism, but what about this really nasty Christofascism/"Jesus is the King of America" stuff? Enough of that ought to make the markets nervous -- and this is to say nothing about Islamic fundamentalism...).

I am well aware of how religious beliefs play into the bosses' hands, and I understand the "historically contingent" facts concerning how the U.S. has long been a magnet for Christian fundamentalists, or how various governments have financed jihadist organizations to achieve various short-term political goals (e.g. fighting the Soviets or Fatah). And certainly post-war U.S. economic growth has given various fundamentalist groups the resources to send missionaries all over the world to spread a very illiberal version of the faith.

What I wonder, though, is if there is a deeper process at work here -- something that explains why illiberal religious fundamentalism has spread across the world alongside the supposedly liberalizing forces of capitalism. I am somewhat familiar with Adorno's work on irrational culture (e.g. astrology and occultism) and capitalism, but Christofascism and Jihadism seem to be qualitatively distinct from the L.A. Times astrology columns.

OTOH, maybe I'm just looking for a "deep" answer where none is necessary.

-WD