[lbo-talk] Capitalism and Religious Fundamentalism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 10:31:26 PDT 2007

Sorry for mixing you up with Chuck Grimes.

Catholicism had its hardcore form, sure, but it's never been into literal interpretation of Scripture, which is what I think of when I think of fundamentalism.

As an aside, I did my grad work in philosophy as one of a small number of non-Catholic students at the Catholic University of America, which had (and probably still has, if Fr. Sokolowski is still there) a very good phenomenology department. There were huge disputes between the Thomists and the phenomenologists, and I can attest that the latter were far more eclectic, given to drinking, and generally cooler. ;) We used to have jokes that you could recognize a Thomist by his haircut, which was indeed often the case.

--- "Mr. WD" <mister.wd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean all of it: Christian/Jewish/Muslim/Hindu...
> Can we connect the
> development of fundamentalist movements in all of
> these religions to
> the development of Capitalism?
>
> There is definitely such a thing as Catholic
> fundamentalism, by the
> way. One of the best things about the Catholic
> Church, IMO, is its
> tolerance for hypocrisy and moral failure -- go
> forth and fornicate
> and then just hit confession and you're in good
> shape. Catholics also
> like to drink, which is nice. Give me that over,
> say, Southern
> Baptism any day.

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!

____________________________________________________________________________________ Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz