[lbo-talk] notes from the road

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Thu Jun 21 12:46:53 PDT 2007

So far on our book tour, we have been to Tucson, Flagstaff, Green Valley (AZ), Gilbert (AZ), Phoenix, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, Nevada City (CA), Eugene, Corvallis (OR), McMinnville (OR), Portland, Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, Lake Forest Park (WA), Yakima, Spokane, Missoula, Butte, Bozeman, Ogden, and Salt lake City. Nowher have we found contradictions to what I say in my book: that inequality is palpable and growing, the rich are more willing to flaunt their wealth than at any time since the age of the robber barons, that most people do shitty service work, and that the environment is being ravaged. And we have seen precious few signs of any progressive much less radical movements. People do know or are willing to entertain that what I say is true, but there are no signs that they are prepared to do anything about it. And not many leftists have been contemplating the sacrifices they might have to make to move from discussion groups to changing things (I'm not saying that they should be like us and be able to put all theri possessions in their car!, just that this system seems to engulf all of us one way or another). When we see really good people who would be and are fighting the good fights, we know right away that they are a very tiny minority. I remember reading (and reviewing) a book called The Next Upsurge by Dan Clawson. He argued that there were many good signs for an upsurge in the labor movement. I believe he was wrong to put it mildly.

One last point. Jim Straub talked about working class young people mocking Antioch College. This just won't do. Poor and working class youth who think like this just create a reality that guarantees a continuation of fucked up lives. This has to be challenged. I was a working class youth, and college was the best thing ever happened to me. But even if we don't go to college, why can't we educate ourselves? And why wouldn't we want to? There are lots of working class kids homeless or living on the margins in Portland, Oregon. Will they ever build a movement? My guess is never. For the most part, they just don't know much and show few signs of wanting to learn more.

Michael Yates