[lbo-talk] Sun beams from billionaire's behind

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 16:29:00 PDT 2007

This is really a very interesting way to think about the left and the dems, Marvin. I think you hit a nail on the head that I had never even discerned.

The only quibble I would add is that while the politics of a clinton and giuliani are in some ways substantially similar, the republican right base is such a massive and fierce section of that party, that I think they would wring concessions out of giuliani we would find quite terrible. Maybe not the rollback of roe v wade, but, on the public sector, civil liberties and unions, I think a giuliani presidency will vastly overshadow even clinton's dismal swinish behavior.

Hopefully giuliani cannot win the r primary. There is no candidate who can beat him in a general election in the swing states. Flat out impossible. It might be an electoral college landslide. I fear he would be, if less drunkenly extreme than the bushies, much more competent--- and thus much the worse for all.