[lbo-talk] India displays Dhruv in Paris airshow

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Jun 25 10:26:15 PDT 2007

NDTV.com http://www.ndtv.com/homepage/

Last updated: June 25, 2007

India displays Dhruv in Paris airshow http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20070016593

Noopur Tiwari

Sunday, June 24, 2007 (Paris)

India's indigenously built advanced light helicopter Dhruv is on display at the world's largest airshow in Paris.

Its manufacturer Hindustan Aeronautics Limited is confident Dhruv will have many takers in the coming years.

It is the only Indian aircraft at the airshow and there are enquiries from potential buyers.

HAL's chief test pilot CD Upadhyay said: ''This is our first product, and a product in aviation needs some time to establish itself.''

''First time when we came they looked and said yes they are here ... second time they acknolwledged, but this time there is more interest,'' he said.

Chairman of HAL Ashok K Baweja said: ''For us, countries like Turkey, Chile and Malaysia are symbolic. We have formal bids from them and I think we will do very well.''

The HAL is also preparing to bring its light combat aircraft Tejas and the intermediate jet trainer to the next air show.

HAL has mastered the use of carbon composite technology which forms the body of jets such as the LCA and fly by wire systems which control the aircraft.

In the years to come, future Indian designs will take advantage of this in-house technology.

India has also become one of the biggest importers of arms and equipment.

The visiting delegation hopes, in the years to come India will be present at airshows as a supplier of arms.

Copyright 2007