[lbo-talk] Iran's Youth Movements

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:40:05 PDT 2007

I know this is an unsophisticated way to make judgements, but a great deal of my willingness to extend the benefit of doubt to Yoshie's team in Iran went out the window when I saw that pic in the NYT of the masked cop making the Iranian hipster kid drink out of the butt-cleaning can there. Defending hipsters is not something I find myself doing often but, clearly, me and mine would be in that shame parade were we there.

I mean this current crackdown sounds awful, and the guy has delivered alot more on his promises to bolster Hezbullah with the oil money as opposed to their domestic poor. Iran rationing gasoline? jesus! I'm not the most informed about the situation there, but, there does seem to be a discrepancy between the performance of different populist islamic forces. hezbullah and sadr both seem to be doing admirable things in very tough situations, but iran and hamas... jeez.