[lbo-talk] Iran's Youth Movements

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:39:44 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Kameraden Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> I really don't understand why we have to confuse opposition to an
> attack on Iran, which would be barbaric and disastrous, with a
> defense of the regime, which deserves none. Can't we think two
> thoughts at once? Wouldn't Cde Trotsky have liked it that way?
>
> Doug

Neither do I. I don't understand the necessity for any confusion, all confusion being by definition surplus to requirements. However, I take your point, and apologise if I led anyone to think that we should 'defend' the regime in Iran. For the record, I fully support the Iranian workers and students when they resist the state, as well as the Iranian capitalist elite of which it is the executive arm.

But why should I have to stipulate that every time I point out that we shouldn't necessarily believe even 50% of what's in the New York Times on such a sensitive topic as Iran? Am I being submitted to a Yoshie-Test, here? It's enough to make someone explode (not literally, of course, before anyone gets confused about that too).