[lbo-talk] Sicko

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 16:06:17 PDT 2007

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Julio Huato wrote:
>
> > I agree, entirely. I liked the last part, on Cuba. But I hope the
> > interview of Tony Benn (former Labor Party British MP) catches the
> > viewers' attention as well. Benn explained very well the frightening,
> > demoralizing, and -- therefore -- politically paralyzing effects of
> > poverty on working people.
>
>Yes, that was an excellent bit, for a man who knows class politics
>from the inside (and above). The role of fear and demoralization in
>keeping the nonpoor governable was terrific.

Arguably, capitalists’ most time-honored principle is: “We have nothing to revere but fear itself.” E.g., I’ve just been reading a new book, “The Perfect Summer: England 1911, Just Before the Storm,” by Juliet Nicolson (granddaughter of Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson). It contains a gripping account of the 1911 London dock strike, a bitter struggle that played a pivotal role in advancing the power of UK organized labor and that revealed Winston Churchill at his reactionary worst. Key points:

* Thanks to the strenuous efforts of David Lloyd George, then Chancellor of the Exchequer, a peaceful settlement to the strike was reached on Aug. 18, 1911, narrowly avoiding threatened army action to break the strike by force.

* Even King George V was ecstatic at Lloyd George’s success, congratulating the chancellor for “averting a most disastrous calamity ... [that] has caused me the greatest possible anxiety.” OTOH, Churchill – then Home Secretary and a perennial arch-imperialist/capitalist – was bitterly disappointed to learn that the strike had not been broken by military force.

Juliet Nicolson writes:

“A message ... [stating that a dock strike settlement had been reached was sent to] Churchill, who was packing to leave London for the weekend. He telephoned almost at once, asking to speak to the triumphant mediator [Lloyd George]. ‘I’m very sorry to hear it,’ Churchill spluttered. ‘It would have been better to have gone on and given these men a good thrashing.’ And having made his own feelings clear, he left to play golf.”

A prick for all reasons was old Winnie.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Who's that on the Red Carpet? Play & win glamorous prizes. http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=REDCARPET_hotmailtextlink3