[lbo-talk] John Roberts doesn't like Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 26 01:00:31 PDT 2007

"Mr. WD" quoted and wrote:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/06pdf/06-278.pdf I have only scanned it. The only good news I can discern is that the Court seems to make clear that the school had the power to suspend the kid because 1) it was at a "school event" and 2) the message was "promoting illegal drug use." So arguably the decision is very narrow, but you can count on this being used to crack down on kids who express political opinions at times and places far removed from school -- especially in less enlightened regions of the U.S.]

Supreme Court Limits Students' Speech Rights **************************

Free speech is a political issue; so while the decision focussed on this one event, it spreads, as you say, to others. Congress makes laws. However,"Congress shall make no law..." Instead, a separate branch of bourgeois, democratic government, the Supreme Court, can decide whether, when, where and by whom speech is to be deemed legal or illegal.

Mike B)

An injury to one is an injury to all http://www.iww.org/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/