[lbo-talk] acceptance (was: Iran's Youth Movements

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jun 26 14:35:06 PDT 2007

Ravi:

But I am also with the Wojtek who pointed out once to me (I believe now, quite correctly) that he and I would never be accepted (he was talking about the "working class" but it might as well be general society!) because we would always be foreigners.

[WS:] I am pretty sure that either of us would be even less accepted in the respective "old countries." I have a positive proof of that each time I visit my parents - at this point I do not even bother to see my old college friends, as there is little we can say to each other. I am more comfortable with my international friends than with the so-called "country men" on either side of the pond. I observed that in other immigrants who bothered to be become acculturated in their new country - they are neither here, nor there, but rather citizens of the world. But what a mind opening experience it is....

Sorry for overposting - this is my last one today.

Wojtek