[lbo-talk] Public Schools/Anarchist Law (Was Re: John Roberts doesn't like Bong Hits 4 Jesus)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 11:23:54 PDT 2007

The short answer to whether the Bong Hits case limits free speech rights at public universities is, probably no. Public high schools are special because they deal with immature minors, and academic freedom considerations are more important in a higher education setting. For these among other reasons one wouldn't expect the law to carry over to restrictions imposed on speech in a public university, for example a hate speech code or code of student conduct of the sort I battled at the University of Michigan back in the 1980s. Cases concerning public high schools might provide persuasive authority in a higher education setting, but they wouldn't control.

It should be noted that students at public high schools do have a clear First Amendment right to nondisruptive political speech, that's Tinker, the armband/Vietnam protest case reaffirmed by Roberts' opinion and carped at by Justice Thomas. Also public universities would certainly have the power to impose some restrictions on speech that interferes with the educational mission of the institution. And legitimate time, place, and manner restrictions can be imposed in any free speech context.

The school system's being public is a condition of the First Amendment applying at all. The Constitution only applies to public actors, except for the 13th amendment and the legally unusual cases of a private actor acting as an arm of the government. No one has any First Amendment rights against a private school, employer, corporation, or other nongovernmental actor. So the fact that the Bong Hits case involved a _public_ high school has no implications for its application (or not) to other public educational institutions.

The issue of anarchist "law" is extremely interesting. Marxists think about these issues in the context of the "withering away of the state."

A couple of issues are worth disentangling:

1. Whether there should be constitutional judicial review at all. Lots of people of all political persuasions reject this as undemocratic. They don't have it in England, btw.

2. Whether judicial interpretations of law (constitutional or other) should be "supreme." Chief Justice John Marshall asserted this for bad reasons in Marbury v. Madison (along with nabbing the power of constitutional judicial review), and it's stuck, but some argue that other branches of government should have the power to interpret the law in a way that can't be challenged in court. (AS things stand to some extent Congress can strip the federal courts of jurisdiction over various matters; this may be true of state legislatures.)

4. Whether laws should be enforceable by an authority with a monopoly on the legitimate use of force. In early medieval Iceland, for three hundred years. there was an elaborate system of written law that was entirely enforced by self-help and public opinion.

5. Whether a stable society requires laws -- rules of behavior for the nonviolent resolution of disputes, for setting up expectations, for dealing with breaches of the peace -- at all.

6. What sort of laws there should be, for example, whether there should be criminal law as a distinct sort of law, or whether punishment should be a permitted purpose or practice, or whether and what ssort of activities might be subject to law-like rules.

These are all distinct issues and shouldn't be muddled together.