[lbo-talk] The Truth Behind the EPA and the World Trade Center

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 28 02:38:53 PDT 2007

THE TRUTH BEHIND THE EPA AND THE WORLD TRADE CENTER

ATTORNEY JOEL KUPFERMAN & MEDICAL DOCTOR VERNON JEFFREY TAKE US BEHIND THE SCENES ….

Yesterday I recorded an indepth interview with Joel Kupferman and Dr. Vernon Jeffrey concerning the Environmental Protection Agency and the toxic plume from the collapse of the World Trade Center that sat over a large swath of New York City for months in 2001 and 2002.

We examined what's going on behind the scenes in the Congressional hearings conducted by Congressional representative Jerrold Nadler, who is investigating the actions of former EPA director Christy Whitman and the World Trade Center pollution.

The interview will be aired on my internet radio show, "Steal This Radio," this Thursday June 28, 2007 at 11 a.m. Anti-pesticide, health & environmental activists should find this show illuminating, even revelatory. I encourage you to tune in (and please spread the word).

To hear the show, go to TribecaRadio.net on Thursday at 11 a.m. ET, and click on "Listen Live". It will be replayed next Tuesday July 3 at 6 pm.

If you can't listen live (or want to hear it again!), you'll have to wait til next week, and then go to TribecaRadio.net, click on Podcast and then on Steal This Radio, and then click on the little arrow in the upper right-hand corner.

Joel Kupferman is the lawyer who initiated the NoSpray Coalition's lawsuit against Rudy Giuliani, the Office of Emergency Management, and New York City's indiscriminate spraying of toxic pesticides. (Joel was later joined in the lawsuit by Karl Coplan and the Pace University law clinic students.) Currently, Joel is the attorney for a number of first responders and community residents who are challenging Giuliani and the EPA officials' declaration that the air was "safe to breathe" following the collapse of the World Trade Center, when it most definitely was not. Thousands got sick, and many died or are in the process of dying from that dreadful and unnecessary exposure.

It was Joel Kupferman, in fact, who first obtained the concealed air studies that EPA administrators had buried in the EPA's own files. Based on a relationship that we established with NY Daily News columnist Juan Gonzalez in the fight against the mass-spraying of toxic pesticides, Juan succeeded in getting the Daily News to publish the incredible story on the paper's front page. The News ran the story for a number of days in a row and broke the issue wide open. NoSpray Coalition and Disabled In Action activist Kimberly Flynn, especially, has worked vigorously along with Rep. Nadler on this issue.

Joel Kupferman is coordinator of the NY Environmental Law and Justice Project.

Dr. Vernon Jeffrey is a medical doctor who is working with NYELJP.

Also joining us in the studio is Cathryn Swan, a member of the Board of the No Spray Coalition and founder of the NYC-based activist group, Recycle This!.

So please tune in to the internet radio this Thursday, repeated next Tuesday, and podcast (archived) thereafter. You are invited to send along your comments directly to mitchelcohen at mindspring.com . We'll read some of them on the air on future shows.

Finally, the No Spray Coalition is in need of financial contributions to keep our work on these issues going. We will be meeting formally with representatives from the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Environmental Protection Agency, NY State Department of Environmental Conservation and other agencies next month as stipulated in the settlement agreement that ended our lawsuit. We have a great deal of preparatory work to do and thousands of dollars in expenses in regard to those meetings, as well as in maintaining and expanding our ongoing organizing. Whatever you can send would be a blessing!

You may contribute via credit card or PayPal by going to http://www.nospray.org and clicking on the "make a donation" button there, or by sending a check to: No Spray Coalition PO Box 739 Peck Slip Station New York, NY 10272-0739

hotline: (718) 670-7110 listserve: SprayNo at yahoogroups.com website: http://www.nospray.org

Thank you! Mitchel Cohen, for the Brooklyn Greens / Green Party, and the No Spray Coalition editor at nospray.org

PS. TribecaRadio.net -- which hosts "Steal This Radio" as well as many other fine shows -- is seeking advertisers. The owners of the station have set aside a special rate for community and environmental activists of $300 for one hundred insertions of a 1-minute advertisement. (Around 20,000 people tune in each month.) Additional discounts can be arranged if you are doing good work but are broke! So please contact leigh at tribecaradio.net, and tell him that the No Spray Coalition and "Steal This Radio" sent you, to receive a special rate!