[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 08:01:51 PDT 2007

i don't buy nietzsche as petit bourgeouis rebel. certainly it's a reductive position, even if there's some truth in it.

the guy was hegelian through and through. his critiques of christian and jewish morality, much like marx's critique of capitalism, was a mixture of respect and disgust (or something like that), all in the context of an understanding that progress is always from something to something, and that there are various steps along the way, and what now looks like progress will eventually have to be got beyond.

we might disagree with his analysis (although, frankly, i think _beyond good and evil_ is one of the most brilliant philosophical pieces in history, even, or maybe especially, when i think he is probably wrong), but i get really tired of the way we like to apply easy labels to him. even when we ourselves might come to the label through years of dedicaation and hard work trying to figure out what's going on, the label already betrays that work, as if it were unnecessary (see hegel's "preface" on formalism. unless you think hegel is a petit bourgeouis rebel ;-).