[lbo-talk] John Roberts doesn't like Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 28 09:34:07 PDT 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Leftists and left-liberals grew too complacent from (say) 1955-75)
> about
> dependence on the court system. Essentially we can't depend on
> anything
> that we do not continually confirm and reconfirm through various forms
> of direct action.

More from Beckert's book on the NYC bourgeoisie, which (have I said this before?) is really terrific. One reason the U.S. bourgeoisie, led by the NYC branch, was able to rise to such power was the weakness of the U.S. state - and the fact that the strongest branch of that weak state was the court system, the most sympathetic to elite rule. This so-called conservative Supreme Court is really a return to normalcy.

Doug