[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 28 13:49:11 PDT 2007

On 28 Jun, 2007, at 14:38 PM, Peter Ward wrote:

> Nietzsche is somewhat unique among philosophers: most have been
> content simply to convince themselves that God is on their side
> (Hegel, for instance); Nietzsche, however, would only be content as
> God. To this end he succeeded – he went insane.

IMHO:

;-) I have only one bit of warning for Nietzsche beginners: remember, when you look deep into the Nietzsche, the Nietzsche looks deep into you! That should be obvious by the overabundance of Nietzschean clichés and cliché'd readings, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate. As Heidegger says (I think in one of the two volumes on Nietzsche that I recommended a while ago -- or perhaps in "What is called Thinking") the important thing in reading Nietzsche is to get past him. He does a great job of shaking up the foundations, the terra firma of various forms of thought/analysis, etc...

--ravi