[lbo-talk] John Roberts doesn't like Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 28 17:54:11 PDT 2007

J. Tyler wrote:

>I don't know if you need to start from scratch on a criminal justice
>system, but one thing I do know is that the end product would have
>little in common with what we've got now.

I'm not so sure. I'm not defending the system as is. I'm saying I think that a criminal justice system in a fair and equitable society would have a lot in common with what we have now only it would be....fair and equitable.

The point is I don't think historical development just goes away. This would be true of more recent things too. For example, I think that something like the corporate form would also still exist in a fair and equitable world. But it would be a public institution, not one beholden to shareholders.

The thing is when Chuck says things like "the current legal system serves the rich" the first thing I think is no shit, so does everything else. This is news? I can only assume that he imagines another system will be better and I think it's fair to ask what he imagines that would be. Myself, I just don't think we'll be reinventing the wheel.

One thing that would definitely change is there would be many fewer police who would be protecting people, not property, and far fewer prisons, winding down to none in the long run maybe.

>Murder is not an everyday problem.

I meant that in the sense that since time immemorial it's been something people have to deal with. How you deal with things like that are basic to living in and organizing a community, which is one reason law has a history almost as long as art.