[lbo-talk] Sicko

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Jun 29 00:47:09 PDT 2007

At 4:05 PM -0400 28/6/07, Jerry Monaco wrote:

>As I said Anthony Lane is amusing: for example this recent bit:
>
>"How do you solve a problem like Angelina? Ms. Jolie is now more of a
>brand than a person, and she comes in six flavors:
>
>1. The celebrity. Angelina Jolie is so famous that when she looks in
>the mirror her reflection asks for an autograph. The only publication
>in this country yet to feature her on its cover is The American
>Numismatic Magazine, and even that will change the moment she bends
>down to pick up a nickel.

>But he doesn't hit for the fences, he doesn't provoke thoughts and
>arguments about what the movies are about, he doesn't even make you
>nostalgic for the time when you used to love waiting for the movies
>and talking about movies. All you can say is that Lane is worth
>reading for the chuckles.

You're right, he is a good writer. Though it isn't entirely true that he doesn't provoke thought, in fact I found the article so entertaining that I asked the missus who this Angelina Jolie was. "Actress," she replied. "Married to Brad Pitt." (I assume he must be an actor too, but was too embarrassed to ask.)

Which information served to make the article even more funny as I continued to read on. (Now I could 'get' some of the jokes.) But obviously I also learned something.

Yes, I appreciate that kind of writing and would recommend others give it a try. Even people who have no idea what you are talking about can get a kick out it and might become curious about the subject.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas