[lbo-talk] Sicko

kevin island kevin_island2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 05:11:54 PDT 2007

My guess is that many people are convinced that medical care in Europe is substandard. An anecdote: When talking to an American woman who said she had lived for time in Germany, I asked about the medical care. She said it was awful. Why? Well, while she was expecting, she was given a tour of the facilities at the local hospital. She would have been placed in a large room with seven other mothers, and she would have had to share a bathroom! At that moment, she decided she had to fly back to the U.S. to give birth in more civilized surroundings. Further questions revealed that she could have stayed in the hospital for at least a week after giving birth, but that didn't seem to impress her at all ...

If my medical stay were proportional to the inverse of my bathroom privileges, I'd be happy to share a bathroom.

Kevin Ridgefield, CT