[lbo-talk] India! (was: Iran's Youth Movements

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 05:38:18 PDT 2007

--- ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:

> Corruption in India is pretty old (old relative to
> India's short
> history as an independent nation). It's fairly
> thoroughgoing and my
> shallow summary is that it is a combination of the
> abuse of the
> extensive bureaucratic system (inherited from the
> British), in
> response to poverty, and a domination of the
> political leadership by
> opportunists and thugs.

Ah, India, my favorite country to compare Russia with!

Do you think the lack of a social safety network is a factor in the corruption? Given that their futures are insecure, it provides an incentive for officials (and police etc.) to use their positions to acquire as much cash as possible so as to have some in the future.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/