[lbo-talk] FW: Use of Race in School Placement Curbed

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jun 29 08:05:35 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> bell hooks is dead wrong on this one. Virtually all
> the evidence is that desegregation benefited black
> students and white as well as other races, better
> scores, higher graduation rates, improvement on every
> measure overall. And the cure for "internal"
> segregation of schools is not resegregation in
> separate schools -- which will typically involve great
> financial disparities that don't benefit minorities.
> It involved real and thorough desegregation. "Seperate
> but equal" was a bad idea the first time around, it
> hasn't improved with age. No silver lining here. This
> decision just sucks.

Yes, andie's right, the social psychological research on this is quite clear: segregation breeds prejudice and institutional discrimination, and integation is an effective strategy for undermining these forms of inequality. Granted, integration is not always effective (what social intervention is?), but we know it's more effective than segregation.

Miles