[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jun 29 08:25:40 PDT 2007

Chris Doss wrote:
> I really don't see what's so earth-shaking in
> Nietzsche. My personal response to reading him was
> always basically "meh." He never shook me up on a
> personal level like Kierkegaard, Heidegger or
> Schopenhauer did.
>
> Maybe I have a sick soul. :)

No, Chris, I think the problem is--you have a soul! N. doesn't want to effect you on some deep, personal level; he mercilessly mocks the whole notion of people having a soul or essence. For N, the self is just a fiction we impose on the swirling mass of desires, impulses, fears, and thoughts that we experience; thus he makes fun of any philosophical project that takes this common-sense fiction for granted. That said, it's strange to me that you're not shaken up by N's argument that the self is a useful fiction--or even better, that truth is

a mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms--in

short, a sum of human relations, [sic] which have been enhanced,

transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which

after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory to a people:

truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that this is what

they are.

I:'ll say this was a metaphorical 2 x 4 upside my head the first time I read it; I guess we get shaken up by different philosophical challenges!

Miles