[lbo-talk] MM reacts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 29 12:49:46 PDT 2007

[this is from the Rush & Molloy gossip col in the NY Daily News]

Michael Moore brought his "Sicko" publicity tour to L.A. Tuesday night and had some words for critics who've been harping on the taxes involved in the universal health-care programs glorified in his film. "If you add up what people are paying now in medical bills, day care, college education — that equals up to a lot more than what they're paying over there [in England and France]," he told us. "That's because we have to build profit into our system. Once you eliminate private insurance companies, you eliminate profit and the administrative costs. Then you can afford to take care of everybody. I don't ever want to hear again in my lifetime that this country doesn't have the money for something. We clearly have had the money to fund this debacle in Iraq."