[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jun 29 14:58:41 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood

Charles, do you think that Marxists are just better than everyone else? Is Preobrazhensky a greater economist than Keynes?

Doug

^^^^^ CB: No, I think you are better than everybody else.

This is sort of like andie's tired old redbaiting. I'd say you and andie act like your ideas are better than everybody else's just as much as I do. I don't act anymore arrogant than all the rest here including you.

On the specific issues we are discussing here, Marxism has the most valid relative truths of our era.

Individual Marxists are not automatically better than other individual people.

Marxism is political economy, not economics. To the extent that P. advocated the overthrow of capitalism (if he did; he may not have specifically addressed that given that others had), and K. advocated only reform of capitalism, P's position is better for humanity than K's. The goal of revolution is qualitatively "greater" than the goal of reform of capitalism.

Keynes seems to be experiencing a downturn in fashion, no ? Economists don't act like Keynes is as smart as they used to act like he was. Used to be "we are all Keynesians" . Now nobody's a Keynesian.