[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jun 29 15:17:53 PDT 2007

wrobert at uci.edu
> CB: N. uses that basic philosophical truth to serve the ruling class. Evil
> genius is more pernicious than evil dumbness, because it is likely evil
> genius will help evil more than evil dumbness. N. is worse than others
> because he is so smart, and puts his smarts to the service of the ruling
> classes.

What you've never answered is how Nietzsche's thought is in service of the 'ruling class'. The man had no tolerence for the nationalist triumphalism of his day, nor any nostalgia for feudalism.

^^^^^^ CB: I'm way over posted, but instead of entirely leaving this hanging, I'll say something briefly, and work on it more over the weekend, and then I won't post for a couple of days, for the quota limitation.

I know N's fans hate it, but it can't be ignored that the main actually ( and formerly actually) existent social-political "movement" that claimed N. was a real ruling class movement in the early 20th century in Germany. This is a big fact. It can't be denied away by the fact that the N's. didn't follow N on every detail. "Superman" is a kind of striking commonality. Then N's attitude is pro-master/ anti-slave. It's also in the service of today's ruling class to the extent that it contradicts Marxism on the issue of CLASS ( fuck you to all the redbaiters on this; you are just as arrogant about your beliefs and philosophical positions as Marxists are about theirs; it's a big lie that Marxists are ( or I am) more intellectually arrogant than anti-Marxists, Liberals, anarchists, whatever. I mean really fuck you everytime you say this type of thing. )

Is it your position that Nietzsche doesn't champion the masters over the slaves ? Is it that he wants everybody to be a superman ? Maybe you mean I misinterpret those. He seems to be nostalgic for imperial Rome , among other eras. Are you saying that I read him inaccurately, in that regard ? I guess it seems obvious to me that N. champions masters over slaves, but maybe you read that differently.