[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Sat Jun 30 11:44:02 PDT 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

Eubulides wrote:

> Try this argument in court after you've run a red light while talking on a
> cell
> phone and kill three people in an intersection with a crosswalk.

Court decisions (or the principles/legal fictions necessary for court decisions) can hardly determine our conception of the cosmos. (See current SC decisions.)

That's beside the point. It's the *performativity* of selfhood/personhood and the attendant varieties of self-descriptions and self-referentialities that necessitate some minimal concept of responsibility for any form of socio-political life. The metaphysical insubstantiality of selves *as given* to selves/others, whether by a god or natural selection is precisely *not* the issue. Methinks this is part and parcel of why Foucault started down the path of rethinking the production/technologies of the self.

Methodological/ontological collectivism does not obviate the problems involved with individuation[s]. Oversocialized/overdetermined selves are still selves.

Ian