[lbo-talk] Fun with search engines: Write more lyrics

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Jun 30 14:04:09 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 12:53 -0700, Chris Doss wrote:
> --- Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
>

> > Considering that Haydn wrote it, this is not too
> > surprising.
> > (Deutschland, not Horst)
>

> Did he? I did not know that! Thank you. It really is
> nice.

Yeah. been running through my head ever since you first mentioned it. The only national anthem I know of that's _lyrical_. All the others have that thumping, foursquare chest-beating quality -- even O Canada, in spite of its relatively pacific words. Whenever you hear the tuba and the bass drum, I always say, the panzers can't be far behind.

That said, I do confess to a weakness for the Marseillaise.

Then there's the Star Spangled Banner, which is totally wack. A range of a twelfth -- and what other national anthem is in 3/4 time, for heaven's sake?