[lbo-talk] Bakunin on Marx

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 30 15:41:00 PDT 2007

On 6/30/07, Lenin's Tomb <leninstombblog at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Why don't you read Bakunin's letter to Albert Richard? Despite his
> wholesome 'anti-authoritarian' abuse of communists as elitist and
> authoritarian, he plotted an "invisible dictatorship", which his
> elite and secret organisation would run after the revolution. Say
> what you like about the Bolsheviks, but they never tried to make
> themselves invisible except to the Tsarist monarchy. Bakunin was
> deeply authoritarian: it doesn't get any conspiratorial and elitist
> than what he had in mind. In fact, there is a huge tradition of
> authoritarianism and elitism within anarchism, and it usually
> expresses itself in terms of a mania for secrecy, conspiracy,
> aversion to the masses, etc (cf Goldman's views about the ignorant
> masses and the need for intelligent minorities).

I suspect there's a corrupting influence when you call yourself a partisan of an -ism. This self identification can pressure people into dishonesty, because of loyalty to that community.

Though an advantage of anarchism is at least that it's not tied to specific people; that's why it's not called Bakuninism, Malatestinism or something.

Some of the most sensible, knowledgeable criticisms of anarchism I've heard come from within anarchism. So for example, there was an illuminating presentation at an anarchist conference, called "The Anarchism of Fools: Conspiracy Theory as a Substitute for Social Critique." And the first time I heard the term "anarcho-wingnut," it was from a talk at the same conference. (Maybe a different year of the same conference.)

And we'll find terrible opinions from any figure. Take Bertrand Russell, Chomsky's hero. IIRC, Finkelstein pointed out that Russell had pretty bad views concerning Arabs in Palestine. Did that invalidate the overall importance of Russell's views? I doubt it. But I would raise an eyebrow when confronted with a self-described Russellist, just as anyone would with a "Newtonite."

Tayssir