[lbo-talk] Sicko

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 16:29:42 PDT 2007

It seems like every time Moore comes out with a film, lots of people go, "Okay, so his last movie maybe wasn't as great as we thought at the time, and we were all caught up in that moment, but THIS one -- THIS one -- is the *real* must-see!" That's how it was for Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine, as I remember. I find myself in the weird position of basically agreeing with a lot of Moore's core points but have grown to not be able to stand the guy and the way he inserts himself into nearly every feature as its main character/protagonist/savior. Having said that, I also sometimes think, "Whatever -- if it gets people to adopt the right ideas, then who am I to complain?"

Kurt Loder of MTV/VH1 (of all people) vented disgust at "Sicko" on VH1's website -- "'Sicko' is Heavily Doctored": http://www.vh1.com/movies/news/articles/1563758/20070629/story.jhtml

And Associated Press has run a hostile reaction to "Sicko" here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070630/ap_on_he_me/sicko_us_fact_check

So maybe Moore is doing something right.

-B.

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> Doug:
>
>> And besides, it's not health policy wankery, I mean
>> wonkery. It's
>> very high quality agitprop.
>>

> [WS:] Now that I have seen the film, I fully agree.
> Excellect piece of high quality agitprop - very
> effective. I think that Denby is full of shit with
> his crticism of the film - totallu unwarranted. In
> fact, the Gitmo episode was a very effective
narrative