[lbo-talk] Fun with search engines: Write more lyrics

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jun 30 17:06:10 PDT 2007

Chris Doss wrote:

>Am I the only person who things the Horst Wessel Lied
>is actually a really nice piece of music?

Too oooomph-pah for me.

>Deutschland ueber alles ain't half bad either. Very
>melodic.

Yes. That's a beauty. It's a theme from one of Haydn's quartets.... the "Emperor Quartet."

"The C Major Quartet is nicknamed the "Emperor". The second movement of the quartet consists of 4 variations on Haydn’s hymn "Gott erhalte Franz der Kaiser"(God protect the Emperor Franz). As mentioned above, the quartet was composed upon Haydn’s return from London. Haydn was deeply impressed by the effect upon the British people when the anthem "God Save the King" (now Queen) was played./ (By the way, in this country this tune is known as "America" – you know, "my country ‘tis of thee…" In fact, at various times it also served as the national anthem of Germany, the U.S.A., Sweden, Russia, Switzerland and Liechtenstein! A good tune’s a good tune.)/ Haydn wished to provide Austria with an equally moving anthem; this was the time of the Napoleonic Wars. He succeeded grandly. The anthem was presented on Feb. 12, 1797, the Emperor’s birthday, when it was sung in all the theaters in Vienna and the provinces. It is said this tune, more than anything else, enhanced his popularity in his country. Though composed at the same time as weightier works; the oratorio "The Creation", two large Masses, some of his finest quartets, the popular Trumpet Concerto, and a vocal arrangement of "The Seven Last Words Of Christ", the little hymn was a favorite of Haydn’s among his own compositions. In return, the Emperor gave Haydn a gold box with a portrait of the Emperor inside, and cash. Haydn would have surely preferred a state decoration; an honor he would never received from the Habsburg Court. As for the anthem, It did indeed become Austria’s first national anthem - for a time. The fickle Austrians fiddled around with a number of other tunes, before landing on their current anthem in 1946, when the Austrian cabinet decided on a tune by their beloved Mozart; with a newly commissioned text. As it turns out, the tune wasn’t by Mozart at all; but one Johann Holzer. However, Haydn’s hymn tune is probably better known in its guise as the German national anthem "Deutchland, Deutchland über alles", adopted by Germany in 1922."