[lbo-talk] Nietzsche

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jun 30 17:15:37 PDT 2007

Miles Jackson wrote:

>The same argument can be applied to any psychological characteristic:
>for a person to fulfill a psychological impulse, there must be social
>conditions that enable that impulse. Even if the person or like-minded
>people build social conditions that help them all fulfill their impulse,
>it is still the social conditions that they have built that must be
>analyzed--not just the psychological impulse that accompanied the change
>in social conditions!

Having said that though, we need to say something about a system that renders most people "mentally ill." We must conclude that if most of the people in this country have to be drunk, high, or on some kind of prescribed psychoactive drug, this must be because social survival depends on actions that drive them mad and that are counter to some unexamined, basic human needs for trust, empathy, mutual support, and even, yes, responsibility. etc.

Joanna