[lbo-talk] Marxism and religion

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 10:52:20 PST 2007

"leaving the cause to fester and suppurate"? This too is overly harsh.

Opium destroys pain but does not cure disease. I think that's all Marx meant about religion. Why is it necessary to try to make such a simple claim something both more than it is and something to speaks to current fears concerning drugs? A conservatizing effect is not the same as festering and rotting. Had he meant the comment as the harsh criticism some would like it to be he would not have chose opium for his metaphor. It was simply too well regarded in his time. As written it was an extremely mild criticism.

John Thornton