[lbo-talk] Internet scams

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Fri Mar 2 07:37:52 PST 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:07:15AM -0500, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> Pardon my na?vet?, but here is something I always wanted to know, but I was
> afraid to ask:
> - how do various internet scams work?
>
> I understand phishing and transfer of large sums of money scams, but there
> are also others that fill out my trash binder, whose workings are less clear
> to me. These include:
>
> 1. Messages with word salad or random quotation unrelated to anything in the
> subject line and body (what is all about?);

These are to poison or bypass spam filtering using Bayesian statistical analysis, which detects tokens in the text of emails and assigns proability of the mail's spamishness.

Info on Bayes is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes%27s_theorem

and using it in spam-fighting here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_spam_filtering

> 2. Penis enlargement offers (how is that supposed to be performed over the
> internet?)

I would imagine it involves pumps or drugs or creams or something. My filters discard them so I haven't read them.

> 3. Prescription, sex performance or narcotic drugs offers (will I be grossly
> overcharged, get fake drugs, or nothing at all? - or perhaps a narc squad
> busting my door?)

Grossly overcharged and possibly receive fake drugs. Most of these sites issue you a "prescription" by having you fill out a form that is "reviewed by a doctor" [instantly, apparently].

> I presume that all of those are scams to fleece people in one way or
> another, but it is not clear to me how. Does anyone have any ideas?

> BTW, I met a "money transfer" con artist in person in Bangkok last

year.

[snip]

Interesting. Affectionately called Nigerian 419 scams when attempted via the Internet, it is interesting to hear of one attempted in person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

Hope that helps.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

We're a virus with shoes, that's all we are.

-Bill Hicks on humanity