[lbo-talk] Internet scams

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 12:43:15 PST 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote

"3. Prescription, sex performance or narcotic drugs offers (will I be grossly overcharged, get fake drugs, or nothing at all? - or perhaps a narc squad busting my door?)"

Actually, believe it or not, a lot of these sites have legitimate MDs on hand, either directly or indirectly, to give you these pills. There is, for example, near me, a "pain clinic," not too far from a lot of funeral homes and liquor stores, which is just awesome, and they apparently have a staff of MDs that will prescribe you Oxycontin, Vicodin, etc., for something like $5 per pill! They play up the fact that doctors overreact to folks who are in legitimate pain; that many doctors overreact to folks complaining of pain as "drug-seekers," but these pain clinics understand that you are not lying, and you probably really do need the pain meds, even if the rest of the medical profession callously shuns you, those bastards.

I don't know what to think of this. On the one hand, I feel like because I look the way I do (vaguely punk rocker-ish) that when I have gone to the emergency room for a killer toothache (it was real, I swear) I was viewed as someone exhibiting "drug seeking behaviors" and so doctors were wont to prescribe anything but Motrin IB. (Trust me, though, when you have a really BAD toothache, it feels like the side of your face has been shot by Dick Cheney on a quail hunt -- and, sorry, but Motrin IB ain't gonna catch it.) There are doctors out there making the stuff available but the prices are really, really inflated, and of course they don't take prescription insurance. A lot of the websites that promise pain pills, if they are affiliated with a brick-and-mortar clinic, are real. If they aren't, I wouldn't trust them.

-B.