[lbo-talk] Obama's ancestors had slaves

jrdavis from_alamut at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 21:20:13 PST 2007

The real question is that the Muslim world imported almost the same number of African salves as the New World did...so why is there no old african populations in Muslim Cities?

jim

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I'll indulge in an even broader brush generalization:
> slavery or analogous forms of forced labor was a near
> social universal in every civilized society and most
> barbaric ones from the rise of the city state until
> the 19th century. That includes both the Americas --
> and not just after the European Conquest (oops, Europe
> is continent too . . . ), the Indian Subcontinent,
> China, Russia, the Near East, North Africa, and
> Europe.

For what it's worth, few if any slave systems matched in brutality (a) slavery in the ancient mines and (b) slavery in the u.s. south (and I think Brazil & the Caribbean). But fuss about Obama's ancestors is indeed silly -- perhaps it only exists to give abashed leftists an excuse to give the reactionary Obama sort of praise.