[lbo-talk] Obama's ancestors had slaves

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 22:39:01 PST 2007

On 3/3/07, J. Tyler <unended at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
<snip>
> > think it is reasonably likely that any randonmly
> > chosen person in the African Diaspora has some African
> > slaveholding ancestry.
>
> This claim is doubtful. Even if I grant you the premise that slavery was
> practiced throughout Africa to the same extent as the rest of the world
> (which, without having done serious research myself, seems reasonable
> enough), the conclusion that most African-Americans are descendents of slave
> owners in Africa seems far fetched. Because if we are to assume that Africa
> really was like the rest of the slavery-practicing world, then we also have
> to assume that--like the rest of the world--only the minority members of the
> ruling and upper classes were slave owners. And that, furthermore, social
> mobility would have been restricted, such that it would not have been easy
> to move between the slave-owning and non-slave-owning classes.

Whether you take slavery in non-Islamic Africa or the Islamic world, social mobility was not at all restricted. It was only chattel slavery of the North American capitalist variety that rigidly restricted mobility from slave to non-slave-owning citizen or to slave owner (and vice versa).

<http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_display.cfm?HHID=64> Hereditary slavery, extending over several generations, was rare. Most slaves in Africa were female. Women were preferred because they bore children and because they performed most field labor. Slavery in early sub-Saharan Africa took a variety of forms. While most slaves were field workers, some served in royal courts, where they served as officials, soldiers, servants, and artisans. Under a system known as "pawnship," youths (usually girls) served as collateral for their family's debts. If their parents or kin defaulted on these debts, then these young girls were forced to labor to repay these debts. In many instances, these young women eventually married into their owner's lineage, and their family's debt was cancelled.

Under a system known as "clientage," slaves owed a share of their crop or their labor to an owner or a lineage. Yet they owned the bulk of their crop and were allowed to participate in the society's political activities. These slaves were often treated no differently than other peasant or tenant farmers. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>